Admission to Science and Technology
- Completed secondary education (before the academic year starts)
- English language proficiency
Admission takes place according to a ranking list of applicants built on the basis of scores in Mathematics; Biology, Chemistry or Physics and motivation letter: the share of Mathematics is 40%, motivation letter is 20% and the highest result in either Biology, Chemistry or Physics is 40% of the total amount of admission points.
Application process for Estonian candidates
Application process for international candidates
- Submit the online application form. We ask you to upload the electronic copies of all the required documents to your application. This makes the pre-processing of your application quicker and is especially important for candidates applying to more than one programme. You will receive an applicant code, which gives access to your account to track your application status.
- Mail the printed and signed application (do not send any documents by e-mail) with all the required documents by the indicated deadline to:
International Student Service, University of Tartu, Ülikooli 18, Tartu 50090, ESTONIA
Documents to be submitted for application
- online application
- motivation letter - guidelines and evaluation criteria are included in the online application form
- official copy of the secondary school certificate and grade list in the original language*
- certified translations of the secondary school certificate and grade list into English
- proof of English language proficiency
- copy of the passport page stating the applicant's personal particulars
* Please note that all copies of education documents (diploma, exam certificate and grade list) must bear an original seal and a signature of an authorized official of the issuing school. Copies of documents can also be certified with an Apostille. Some country specific requirements also specify the way documents must be certifed.
SAT test in mathematics (Level 1), chemistry and/or biology is not required for students applying, but we recommend that applicants who have taken SAT test would mention that in their motivation letter. No additional points are given to those who have taken SAT, but it is a positive component which should be underlined when describing ones interest and ability towards the programmes with strong focus on mathematics. The SAT score recipient code for the University of Tartu is 6424.
NB! Applicants graduating from secondary school after the indicated deadline must send all documents available at the time of application (including their most recent grade list) and notify the International Student Service when they can expect the rest, e.g., the date of your national exams.
Only complete applications will be considered by the Admission Committee.
Announcement of admission results
The university's Admissions Committee will announce admissions results by 15 June. Admission notifications are sent by e-mail. All admitted students must inform the university of their decision to accept or decline the admission offer.
Tuition fee and scholarships
Tuition fee for the programme is 3500 EUR/year. Tuition-waiver scholarships will be available for the best applicants (10 scholarships).
Further information on when a tuition-waiver scholarship holder starts paying the tuition fee and instructions for fee paying students is given here.
Info on other scholarships is given here.