Needs-based special allowance
A needs-based special allowance can be applied by a student (except for a doctoral candidate)
... who is a citizen of Estonia or resides in Estonia on the basis of a permanent or temporary residence permit,
... who is not on academic leave,
... whose period of study has not exceeded the standard period of the curriculum,
... who studies full-time and completes the curriculum’s requirements to the extent of 75% or studies full-time in the first semester,
... who has received a negative decision on the application for a needs-based study allowance within two weeks preceding the submission of an application for the special allowance due to the reason that the monthly income of family members has exceeded the established maximum limit (394 euros) per family member per month,
... whose family members’ income of the three months preceding the submission of an application for the special allowance does not exceed the maximum limit established for the receipt of the allowance. The family’s average income is calculated on the basis of taxable income (gross income is taken into account). A student is not eligible for an allowance if the income per family member exceeds 394 euros.
The amount of the needs-based special allowance is 135 euros per month.
The family of an up to 24-year old student shall consist of:
• parents of the student;
• minor siblings and half-siblings of the student even if the student’s address of residence in the population register is different from that of the family members;
• up to 24-year old student’s up to 24-year old siblings and half-siblings who acquire general secondary education in full-time study or vocational education in full-time study or higher education in full-time study and who have not exceeded the standard period of curriculum.
An up to 24-year old student, who is married or a parent or guardian of a child, constitutes an independent family.
A 25-year old and older student is an independent family and no longer depends on the income of their parents upon applying for a study allowance.
The following documents shall be appended to the application for a needs-based special allowance:
• a negative decision on a needs-based study allowance due to the reason that the monthly income of family members has exceeded 394 euros per family member (the negative decision must have been received within two weeks preceding the application for a special allowance). A decision on paper can be printed out from the environment for application for a needs-based study allowance;
• extract on paper of the membership of the family at the moment of applying for the needs-based study allowance available in the environment for application for a needs-based study allowance;
• certificates from the Tax and Customs Board concerning the income of all the family members from 18 years of age during the three months preceding the submission of the application. Certificates signed by a representative of the Tax and Customs Board may be submitted on paper or as a digitally signed document at eritoetus [ät] ut.ee. A certificate concerning the income of the past month is available in the Tax and Customs Board from the tenth day of the next month.
To receive the allowance in the current semester, the application must be submitted from September to January in the autumn semester and from February to June in the spring semester. The allowance is granted twice an academic year: for the autumn and spring semester from the month of application until the end of the semester.
To verify the membership of the family, the applicant for the allowance must log in to the environment for application for a needs-based study allowance on site. Therefore, to submit an application, the student must take along an ID card or bank passwords. Mobile ID can also be used to log in to the portal.
An application for a needs-based special allowance and additional documents must be submitted to the Office of Academic Affairs at Ülikooli 18-131 (the main building of the university). Applications can be submitted from September to June from the tenth day of each month. We accept applications on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 13:00 to 16:00.
The special allowance is paid by the 20th day of each month of study for the corresponding month of study (except the allowance for the month of application, which is paid by the 20th day of the month following the application). The special allowance is paid from the month of submitting the application.
The number of recipients of a needs-based special allowance depends on the size of the needs-based special allowance fund allocated to the university for the academic year.