English Language Requirements
Applicants to all the bachelor´s and master´s level programmes must provide proof of English language proficiency at a satisfactory level. The following tests with scores outlined are accepted:
1. TOEFL (iBT) - minimum required score is 75 from internet based test and 537 from paper based test. The TOEFL result must be sent directly to the University of Tartu by the Educational Testing Service. TOEFL institutional code for the University of Tartu is 0133. If a candidate has ordered his/her TOEFL test result to be sent directly to the University of Tartu, the score can be checked online before the paper reaches UT;
2. IELTS (academic) - minimum required score is 5.5 (no part can be below 5.5). Copy of the test result is accepted as it will be verified online by UT;
3. Cambridge English: First (FCE) - minimum required result is grade C (B2 level). Please send your candidate ID and secret number, so that we could verify your score online;
4. Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE);
5. Cambridge English: Proficiency (CPE);
6. Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic) - minimum required score is 59;
7. Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (CELTA);
8. Cambridge ESOL tests: ILEC ja ICFE;
9. Finnish ylioppilastutkinto In English, long course – graded at least magna cum laude approbatur (M) 5.
10. English language test taken at the Language Centre of the University of Tartu or Tallinn University. The test has to be taken before applying, testing takes place only in Tartu/Tallinn, Estonia. Minimum B2 level is required;
11. Estonian state exam in English - minimum required result is B2 level (for exams taken in 1997-2013 66 points or higher).
The following are the relevant dates and deadlines for submitting English language test results to the University:
|Type of programme||Deadline for providing electronic proof of registering to language test||Deadline for language test result to reach the University|
|Bachelor's level programmes||Not applicable||April 15, 2017|
|Master's level programmes||March 15, 2017||April 15, 2017|
|Programmes taught in Estonian (intensive Estonian course on the basis of English)||Not applicable||June 1, 2017|
Applicants to master’s level programmes who do not have their English test score by March 15, must upload the proof of registration to a language test to their DreamApply account together with the rest of the required documents. The language test result must be uploaded to DreamApply by April 15. Later submissions will not be accepted.
English language requirement may be waived if an applicant:
- has successfully studied at the University of Tartu as a visiting/exchange student and received at least 15 ECTS for English-taught courses or completed a degree at Estonian universities and during degree studies completed English taught courses for the minimum value of 15 ECTS (European Credit
Transfer and Accumulation System credit points);
- has completed secondary education in English in one of the following countries: in EU/EEA member states; USA; Canada; Australia or New Zealand;
- has studied in one of the EU/EEA member states and learned English as the first foreign language for seven years and taken the final exam with a result that indicates correspondence to B2 level according to Common European Framework of Reference for Languages;
- has studied in English (with English as medium of instruction), in full-time student status for at least one academic year, in a higher education institution in one of the following countries: USA; Canada; Australia; New Zealand or any of the EU/EEA member states. The transcript of records must include information that the applicant was enrolled in the programme taught in English.
Please note that these are the only exemptions. If your situation is not described here, you must provide a proof of English language proficiency.