English Language Requirements
International applicants must provide proof of the English language proficiency (BA, MA programmes; intensive Estonian language course on the basis of English). The following tests with scores outlined below are accepted:
Minimum required scores: 69/70 internet based-or higher; 196 computer based; 525 paper based. TOEFL institutional code for the University of Tartu is 0133. The TOEFL result must be sent directly to the University of Tartu by the Educational Testing Service.
- IELTS (academic)
Minimum required score is 5.5. Copy of the test result is accepted.
- English language test taken at the Language Centre of the University of Tartu, Tallinn University or Tallinn University of Technology
The test has to be taken before applying, testing takes place only in Tartu/Tallinn, Estonia.
Minimum B2 level is required.
- Estonian state exam in English
Minimum required score is 70.
English language requirement may be waived if an applicant:
- has successfully studied at the University of Tartu as a visiting/exchange student and received at least 15 ECTS for English-taught courses;
- has completed secondary education in English in one of the following countries: in EU/EEA member states; USA; Canada; Australia or New Zealand;
- has studied in one of the EU/EEA member states and learned English as the first foreign language for seven years and taken the final exam with a result that indicates correspondence to B2 level according to Common European Framework of Reference for Languages;
- has studied in English (with English as medium of instruction), in full-time student status for at least one academic year, in a higher education institution in one of the following countries: USA; Canada; Australia; New Zealand or any of the EU/EEA member states. The transcript of records must include information that the applicant was enrolled in the programme taught in English.