Health Insurance

International students studying in Estonia are not covered by the Estonian Health Insurance Fund (Haigekassa), unless they are employed in Estonia or have the right of permanent residence or a long-term residence permit. Thus you need to ensure that you have some other health insurance for your period of study in Estonia.

EU citizens

If you are an EU citizen and have valid health insurance in your home country during your studies in Estonia, you can apply for the EU health insurance card (EHIC) or substitute certificate of an EU health insurance card (form E128). You should apply for that from the social service authorities in your home country before arriving in Estonia. 

NB! EHIC is not an alternative to travel insurance. It does not cover any private healthcare or costs such as a return flight to your home country or lost/stolen property. More information about what is covered with EHIC in Estonia can be found at: > Healthcare Abroad > Medical Treatment Abroad > Estonia.

To be eligible for an EHIC, you must be insured by or covered by a state social security system in any member state of the European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland.

NB! EU and EEA students studying in Estonia for a degree are not covered by the Estonian Health Insurance Fund, unless they are employed in Estonia or have the right of permanent residence, so they can obtain the EHIC only if they are covered by the social security system of their home country.

If you cannot get the EHIC for the reasons described above, please check if any of the private health insurances listed below meets your expectations/needs. You should not be without any health insurance!

Non-EU citizens

There is a strict policy in Estonia what a health insurance policy must cover when applying for the residence permit. 

The Estonian Migration Board has confirmed that the following insurance companies are accepted:

KindlustusEst - insurance broker who can help with finding suitable insurance. It is possible to compare the prices of different insurance providers on their website and sign the contract online. No additional fees are charged from students.

As only the abovementioned insurances are approved by the Estonian Migration Board, the International Student Service recommends students to choose one of these insurance companies.

Students who are still determined to purchase some other worldwide health insurance must make sure that the following is included:      

  • it must clearly state that the policy is valid in Estonia;
  • it is of utmost importance that the health insurance policy states very explicitly that any costs related to student’s medical treatment as a result of illness or injury during the period of validity of the residence permit applied for will be met;
  • there can be no reference to the insurance being guaranteed only in case of unavoidable medical treatment. Travel insurance is not acceptable!