Mission, vision and values
As a result of a series of discussions within university, mission, vision and core values of the University of Tartu are stipulated as follows:
Mission: The University of Tartu as a national university of Estonia bears the responsibility for solving problems faced by the society by ensuring the continuity of Estonian intellectuals and language and culture and by contributing to the development of education, research and technology and other creative activities throughout the world.
Vision: The University of Tartu is a rapidly developing international research university, the centre of academic spirit in Estonia as a national university, and a leader in social development.
- Research-based activities providing us with a way of thinking that entails critical analysis, a search for connections and the pursuit of truth and that is targeted at solving problems. Research-based activities are the criterion for professionalism in everything we do.
- The academic freedom and autonomy of the university through which we creatively and devotedly implement our mission.
- Openness to new ideas. Relying on our traditions, we are always open to innovation and to contributing to positive changes within the university as well as in the world around us.
- Cooperation between people, institutions and research areas at the university, in Estonia and at the international level. We use new knowledge arising from cooperation for the benefit of the society in the best and most responsible manner.
- A human-centred approach and individual development. We value the people who work and study at the university and create the best conditions as well as an inspiring working and learning environment for their development and self-expression.
- Responsibility. We realise the social impact of our actions and omissions. Our words and actions are filled with responsibility for the past, present and future.