Cost of living
General feedback from foreigners who have spent some time here is that living conditions are similar to those in Western Europe.
Student's modest budget per month
- Food and other basic costs: around 300 EUR. For example: local public transport is 8.63 EUR with a monthly ticket (with student card), single ticket for a student 0.51 EUR (2 EUR on the bus). Taxi: starting fee from 1.9 EUR, each km from 0.6 EUR.
- Accommodation - in the UT dormitories, the rent is approximately 150 euros for degree-seeking students and 210 for short-term students per month, please see for more here. It can be 350 EUR or more for a private flat somewhere in the centre and less expensive in the regions more distant from the centre.
Additionally per year
- Health insurance: depending on your choice but minimum 300 euros per year
- Residence permit: 64 per year
- Nightclub ticket: up to 8 EUR (depends on the club, usually there is free entrance to women or students with ESN card)
- Theatre ticket: 12-19 EUR
- Movie ticket: 4.5 EUR before 5 pm on weekdays, 5.5 EUR after 5 pm on weekdays, 6.8 EUR after 5 pm Fri and Sat-Sun
- Beer/cider in a pub: 3 EUR
- Daily specials in pubs and cafes: 3-5 EUR