Cost of living
General feedback from foreigners who have spent some time here is that living conditions are similar to those in Western Europe.
Student's modest budget per month
- Food and other basic costs: 250 - 300 EUR
- Housing costs: largely depend on the location and size of the flat in Tartu. On average, the prices range from about 120 EUR for a place in a double room in the residence hall (dorm) to 350 EUR or more for a private flat.
- Local public transport: 8.63 EUR with a monthly ticket (with student card), single ticket for a student 0.51 EUR (1 EUR on the bus), Taxi: starting fee from 1.9 EUR, each km from 0.6 EUR
Additionally per year
- Health insurance: depending on your choice but minimum 300 euros per year
- Residence permit: 64 per per year
- Nightclub ticket: up to 8 EUR (depends on the club, usually there is free entrance to women or students with ESN card)
- Theatre ticket: 12-19 EUR
- Movie ticket: 4.5 EUR before 5 pm on weekdays, 5.5 EUR after 5 pm on weekdays, 6.8 EUR after 5 pm Fri and Sat-Sun
- Beer/cider in a pub: 3 EUR
- Daily specials in pubs and cafes: 3-5 EUR