Professor of Asian Politics
In cooperation with the University’s Asia Centre, the Johan Skytte Institute of Political Studies seeks to develop new competence in Asian politics with a special emphasis on China. Teaching will involve establishing course modules on Asian political development, governance and regional affairs. Corresponding research themes should be aimed at contributing to the broader agenda of strengthening Asian studies at Tartu and in Estonia as a whole.
The Johan Skytte Institute of Political Studies is a multi-dimensional, internationalized department within the University of Tartu. Combining research, teaching and applied policy studies, the Institute has a staff of nearly 50 people from more than a dozen nationalities. The University of Tartu is a member of the Coimbra Group and among the top 2% of world's best universities.
Responsibilities will include:
- publishing high-quality research in international peer-reviewed outlets;
- forming an international research team and applying for grants;
- high-quality, innovative teaching in English-language programs;
- supervising PhD and MA theses (including successful defenses);
- improving and developing existing curricula;
- building capacity in Asian studies at the University, including through international cooperation with other institutions.
Appointment will be as of May 1, 2017, but no later than September 1, 2017. Following the five-year term, the position may be extended, contingent on a positive performance review.