Admission to Sociology PhD Programme
Documents to Be Submitted
The following electronic documents must be submitted via DreamApply by the application deadline:
- official copy of the diploma and diploma supplement (transcript/mark sheet) of the preceding study levels (both bachelor's and master's) in the original language*;
- official translation of the diplomas and diploma supplements into English;
- proof of English language proficiency at a satisfactory level;
- copy of the passport page stating the applicant´s personal particulars;
- doctoral thesis project (guidelines below);
- curriculum vitae (relevant form CV).
Sending the documents by post
All admitted students are required to send the application documents by post to: Student Admissions, University of Tartu, Ülikooli 18-132, Tartu 50090, ESTONIA. The signed application form, degree certificates and transcripts, copy of passport and proof of English language proficiency are expected to be mailed.Two ways for sending the hard copies
- Hard copies of the application documents are posted by the application deadline. This enables us to process the documents earlier and if you should be admitted, the further process will be smoother.
- However, you can send the documents also after receiving the conditional admission offer via DreamApply (if you will be admitted). In this case, the documents should be sent in the fastest way possible (by courier) and they must arrive in 2 weeks. If you choose the second option, please prepare the certified copies already now, so that you can send them out at once, if necessary. Getting your documents properly certified can take quite a bit of time. If the documents do not arrive on time, the university has a right to withdraw the admission offer.
All copies of educational documents (diplomas and diploma supplements/academic transcripts) must be officially certified. Certified copies should bear an original signature and seal of the authority certifying that these are true copies of the original. The documents can be certified:
- by an authorized official of the issuing institution;
- by a notary;
- with an Apostille attached.
NB! The University does not accept simple copies of original documents or already certified copies.
Some country-specific requirements also specify the way documents must be certified.
NB! Applicants graduating in 2020 and having their diplomas issued later than the application deadline, should electronically submit their most recent official Transcript of Records by the required deadline along with the rest of the required documents. Please note, that you must have graduated from your master´s studies by August 1, 2020. The graduation documents must be submitted by August 5.
A master’s degree or an equivalent qualification is a prerequisite for applying:
|Doctoral thesis project and assessment of its feasibility||50%|
Applicants are admitted on the basis of the ranking list. The minimum score required for being admitted is 66.0.
Doctoral Thesis Project and Entrance Interview
The doctoral thesis project and curriculum vitae must be submitted with the application. The topic has to be chosen from the list of topics given on the website of the Institute of Social Studies: https://www.yti.ut.ee/en/studies/research-topics-prospective-students
During the admission process, the applicants' preparedness, abilities and motivation for doctoral studies as well as their potential to complete the doctoral studies successfully on time and to work in this field are assessed.
The doctoral thesis project (not more than 5 pages long) must include the following:
- topic of the thesis, incl. a short summary of the research problem and the most important related research;
- purpose and problems of the work;
- description of the methodology to be used;
- expectations for the results, incl. their novelty and importance;
- self-assessment of the applicant regarding their readiness to handle this topic: knowledge of the relevant materials and relatedness with earlier research or work in the field; and
- information on the proposed supervisor of the thesis.
The entrance interview takes around 20 minutes, and it is conducted by the committee consisting of the PhD teachers and research fellows of the UT Institute of Social Studies.
The interview takes place on June 18, 2020 at 9.15 Lossi 36-202, Tartu. International applicants who cannot be present at the interview in Tartu, may conduct the interview via Skype (see the requirements for Skype interview). Applicants will be informed of their interview date and time by the respective faculty.
The interview is based on the thesis project and questions that may be asked during the entrance interview could pertain to the following:
- information in the curriculum vitae
earlier studies in the field, experience with the application of the field of study and the related academic activities (participation at conferences, scientific publications);
- knowledge and experience regarding the specifics of research and academic studies in the field;
- overall knowledge of the field of study of the doctoral thesis;
- overall knowledge of the research methodology proposed to be used;
- applicant’s motivation to deal with this topic; and
- future plans regarding work in this field.
The doctoral thesis project and the entrance interview are assessed separately on a 100-point scale.
The assessment of the doctoral thesis project covers the importance and novelty of the research problem, its relation with the relevant research literature (the most important theoretical and empirical work in the field), the existence of a clear research plan, the appropriateness of the methodology and the feasibility of the research.
The assessment of the entrance interview covers the applicant’s knowledge of the main positions and relevant issues in sociology, their motivation and preparedness to pursue doctoral studies, their potential to successfully complete the doctoral programme, their analytical, reasoning and generalisation skills and the content and style of their presentation.
The doctoral thesis project is successfully defended and the entrance examination is passed if the respective score is at least 51.