SAT Subject Test in Biology E/M
Requirements for 2021 intake (updated on 11 March, 2021)
- SAT Subject Test in Biology E/M (minimum score 680)
Due to the limitations in taking the SAT Subject test in Biology on 8 May, 2021 the SAT Subject Test in Biology can be replaced with:
1) SAT Subject Test in Chemistry (minimum score 680) (updated on 11 March, 2021)
2) a national state exam result in Biology or in Chemistry (at least 70% of maximum result) (updated on 11 March, 2021)
The purpose of the SAT Test in Biology is to measure knowledge of Biology at a college-preparatory level with either an ecological emphasis (Biology E) or a molecular emphasis (Biology M).
How to choose between Biology E or M?
- Biology E test: take Biology E if you feel more comfortable answering questions pertaining to biological communities, populations, and energy flow.
- Biology M test: take Biology M if you feel more comfortable answering questions pertaining to biochemistry, cellular structure and processes, such as respiration and photosynthesis.
What is the format of the SAT Subject Test in Biology E/M?
Both Biology E and M have:
- 80 multiple-choice questions
- 60 of 80 questions are common to both Biology E and M, followed by 20 specialized questions for each section
Questions may require you to:
- recall and understand the major concepts of biology and to apply the principles
- organize and interpret results obtained by observation and experimentation
- draw conclusions or make inferences from experimental data, including data presented in graphic or tabular form
- solve problems with simple numerical calculations using the metric system
What kind of preparation should I have before taking the test?
- One-year college preparatory course in biology (either a general survey course, or one with emphasis in ecology or molecular biology)
- One-year course in algebra (or one year of an integrated math sequence)
- Experience in the laboratory
When does the SAT Test in Biology take place?
Testing dates are available here.
NB! Applicants applying for 2021 intake can take the SAT Subject Test in Biology E/M on May 8, 2021 at the latest. In this case, please upload the confirmation of registration for 8 May SAT with the rest of the application documents to your Dreamapply account.
We do not accept the results from the SAT test taken in the beginning of June 2021 for this year intake.
Where can I take the test?
How to register for the test?
You must register online:
- go to the website;
- create a collegeboard.com user account;
- to complete your SAT registration online you must have one of the following credit cards: Visa, Mastercard, Discover or American Express. It is also possible to pay using PayPal.
You receive four free score reports every time you register for the SAT. Please order the results to be sent to the University of Tartu already when you register for the test. Scores of SAT test in Biology will be available on the web around 4 weeks after the test. The results are sent to the university soon after they become avaibable.
NB! Please make sure you register for the SAT Subject Test in Biology E/M. Do not register for the general SAT Test or any other subject test. You will not be allowed to change your choice on the day of the test.
Can I take the test several times?
Yes, the SAT can be taken several times and it is possible to apply with your score from the previous years. The University of Tartu will take into account the best result sent to us, not necessarily the newest result.
In case you have taken SAT test several times and ordered the results via Collegeboard several times as well, please indicate on your Dreamapply application form which test and score you wish to consider for admissions. The exact test date and score can be written to the application section "Other" under the question: "When did you take or are planning to take the SAT subject test in Biology?". If possible, please upload the SAT score certificate as well.
What is the recipient code for the University of Tartu?
The score recipient code for the University of Tartu is 6424.
NB! Only official score reports sent straight from the testing centre are accepted.