- Autumn semester: April 15*
- Application system will open in the
- second half of the day (March 15)!
- Spring semester: November 1*
- * Please note that all application documents must
arrive by regular mail to the University of Tartu
by the deadline.
- NB! PhD level students can apply all year round. It is
required to submit the application documents
at least 2 months before the intended stay in
Visiting students (free movers) study at the University of Tartu independently, outside of any partnership agreement or exchange programme. Visiting students must be currently enrolled at a university/higher education institution in order to come to study either for a semester or an academic year. Semester/year studies and programmes do not lead to a degree. Upon completion of studies students receive a transcript with credits (ECTS) earned.
Courses and semester programmes taught in English for visiting students are here
Visiting students need to pay for their studies (unless PhD level student). For further information please see: tuition fees
Follow the instructions given in the online application form.
Documents to be submitted:
- online application form (online application instructions)
- copy of valid identification document (non EU applicants - copy of the passport page stating the applicant's personal particulars)
- for students currently enrolled at their home university in a programme with a language of instruction other than English: proof of English language skills
- Transcript of Records issued by a home university (Transcript of Records: a list of courses the student has passed during the study programme the student is currently enrolled/registered to) or Certification/proof of the student’s enrolment including the following information:
- Starting date of the enrolment/registration
- Name and level of the programme the student is enrolled/registered to
- Duration of studies, that is the standard period of studies foreseen for the particular programme
- Expected graduation date/end of the programme
Please make sure the above named information is provided either in the format of one or two documents, and the document(s) must bear an original seal and name with signature of an authorized official.
All the admission documents should be sent by regular mail (hard copies) to the Study Abroad Centre - see contacts. Documents must arrive to the University of Tartu by the deadlines indicated above.
The decision of admission will be made within 4 weeks after the application deadline (or within 4 weeks after receiving the hard copies in case of PhD students).
Student applications are assessed on the basis of the following:
- the scope and content of, as well as the applicants success, in the preceding studies;
- the applicant's motivation as demonstrated in the letter of motivation;
- the application for admission as a whole (the application is complete).
Visiting students whose primary language is not English must meet the level B2 requirements for English proficiency according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR). Please view these requirements here: European Levels - Self Assessment Grid.
Documented evidence is needed to demonstrate your English language proficiency. This could include an official letter from a language instructor at your university stating that your English skills are sufficient to study abroad. If you have taken an international test of the English language (TOEFL, IELTS, etc.), please send us a copy of the test score. Minimum TOEFL iBT: 75; IELTS (academic): 5.5 p (no part can be below 5.5).