- Autumn semester/academic year:
- April 15/Extended deadline May 1
- Spring semester: November 1
- NB! PhD level students can apply all year round. It is
required to submit the application documents
at least 2 months before the intended stay in
Visiting students (free movers) study at the University of Tartu independently, outside of any partnership agreement or exchange programme. Visiting students must be currently enrolled at a university/higher education institution in order to come to study either for a semester or an academic year. Semester/year studies and programmes do not lead to a degree. Upon completion of studies students receive a transcript with credits (ECTS) earned.
Courses and semester programmes taught in English for visiting students are here
Visiting students need to pay for their studies (unless PhD level student). For further information please see: tuition fees
Follow the instructions given in the online application form.
Documents to be submitted:
- Online application form (online application instructions)
- Copy of valid identification document (non EU applicants - copy of the passport page stating the applicant's personal information)
- Proof of English language skills for students currently enrolled at their home university in a programme with a language of instruction other than English. See below for further language requirement information.
- Transcript of Records issued by a home university* or certification/proof of the student’s enrolment.**
**Transcript of Records: a list of courses the student has passed during the study programme the student is currently enrolled/registered to.
**Certification/proof of the student’s enrolment must include:
- Starting date of the enrolment/registration
- Name and level of the programme the student is enrolled/registered to
- Duration of studies, that is the standard period of studies foreseen for the particular programme
- Expected graduation date/end of the programme
Please make sure the above named information is provided either in the format of one or two documents, and the document(s) must bear an original seal and name with signature of an authorized official.
The electronic copies of all the required documents have to be uploaded to the Dream Apply application system, to your online application.
Please do not send your documents by post until you have been personally asked to do so via DreamApply system. Once you have been asked to send your documents by post you must arrange the official transcript of records or proof of enrolment (only for PhD level students) to be sent in a sealed envelope directly from your educational institution. The official transcript must have a recent date of issue.
The University does not accept simple copies made on the basis of already certified copies
Admission package will be sent through the DreamApply system within 5 weeks after the application deadline.
Visiting students whose primary language is not English must meet the level B2 requirements for English proficiency according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR). Please view these requirements here: European Levels - Self Assessment Grid.
Documented evidence is needed to demonstrate your English language proficiency. This could include an official letter from a language instructor at your university stating that your English skills are sufficient to study abroad. If you have taken an international test of the English language (TOEFL, IELTS, etc.), please send us a copy of the test score. Minimum TOEFL iBT: 75; IELTS (academic): 5.5 p (no part can be below 5.5).
Student applications are assessed on the basis of the following:
- the scope, content, and success of the preceding studies;
- the applicant's motivation as demonstrated in the letter of motivation;
- the application for admission as a whole (the application is complete).