Need-based special allowance
A need-based special allowance can be applied for by a student (except for a doctoral candidate)
... who is a citizen of Estonia or resides in Estonia on the basis of a permanent or temporary residence permit,
... who is not on academic leave;
... whose period of study has not exceeded the standard period of the curriculum;
... who studies full-time and completes the curriculum’s requirements to the extent of 75% or studies full-time in the first semester;
... who has received a negative decision on the application for a need-based study allowance within two weeks preceding the submission of an application for the special allowance due to the reason that the monthly income of family members has exceeded the established maximum limit (429 euros) per family member per month;
... whose family members’ income of the three months preceding the submission of an application for the special allowance does not exceed the maximum limit established for the receipt of the allowance. The family’s average income is calculated on the basis of taxable income (gross income is taken into account). A student is not eligible for an allowance if the income per family member exceeds 429 euros.
The family by Estonian law is considered to consist of:
- up to 24-year old (inclusive) student and
- parents of the student;
- minor siblings and half-siblings of the student;
- up to 24-year old siblings and half-siblings, who are either pupils or students.
- 25-year or older student is considered as a separate family.
- A student who is married and/or a parent or guardian of a child is considered as a separate family togehter with wife/husband and children.
The amount of the need-based special allowance is 135 euros per month.
Steps for applying:
- Gather the required documents:
- A negative decision on a need-based study allowance due to the reason that the monthly income of family members has exceeded 429 euros per family member. The negative decision must have been received within two weeks preceding the application for need-based special allowance. This document can be acquired from state portal (the environment of application for need-based study allowance), it must downloaded digitally stamped.
- The documents used (and were accepted) for applying for need-based study allowance: the consistence of your family at the current moment; the income of your family members during the calendar year preceding the current academic year; and when relevant, the certificate of your sibling's studies.
- Documents confirming the income of you and each of your adult (18-year old included) family member during the three months preceding the submission of the application (see who are considered your family members above). The student who was a tax-resident in Estonia during the required periode can request this data from Estonian Tax and Customs Board (starting from tenth day of the month, not earlier). Those documents must fill the same requirements as for need-based study allowance (issued from the same official public institution, certified/legalised and translated as required).
- Fill the application form. This can be digitally signed or printed and signed on the paper.
- Send all digitally signed or certified documents to eritoetus [ät] ut.ee or deliver them on paper at the University of Tartu counselling centre (located in UT Library, W. Struve 1). We accept applications on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 13:00 to 16:00.
To receive the allowance in the current semester, the application must be submitted from September to January in the autumn semester and from February to June in the spring semester. The allowance is granted twice an academic year: for the autumn and spring semester from the month of application (and not backwards) until the end of the semester.
The special allowance is paid by the 20th day of each month of study for the corresponding month of study (except the allowance for the month of application, which is paid by the 20th day of the month following the application).
All the requirements described above are based on Estonian laws and regulations and no compliances cannot be made if the student cannot fill some of the requirements.
Please be aware that the documents to be submitted must fully comply with the requirements set in relevant legislation, thus getting the requested documents from various countries across the world is time-consuming.