One of the best ways how to gain practical knowledge, professional work experience and put yourself to the test during your studies is to do traineeship abroad.
How to find traineeship place abroad?
It is highly recommended to speak first with your professors and supervisors in your Institute and Faculty, most likely they have contacts and partners in other universities, laboratories or projects.
There´s also organisations who are mediating internship offers, one of them is AIESEC (www.aiesec.ee). We also recommend internship portal called ERASMUSINTERN, which has traineeship offers from all over the world. Baltic-American Freedom Foundation (BAFF) offers traineeship to the United States.
University of Tartu is announcing internship abroad offers in Student Newsletter.
How to finance your traineeship?
The best way to finance your traineeship in Europe is to apply for the Erasmus+ traineeship grant. It is important to remember that the traineeship planned to be carried out within the Erasmus programme must be a part of one’s study programme at UT.
How to go to the traineeship abroad?
It is important to know what kind of documents you need to submit and prepare before and after the traineeship.
NB! Keep yourself dated with the Studies Regulations!
Applying for the recognition of the traineeship
Before going abroad for the traineeship it is necessary to apply for the recognition of the traineeship abroad. For that you need these documents:
- a study plan to your Institute/College/School along with
- a traineeship plan specifying the content of the traineeship and
- training agreement (which explains activities, evaluation and monitoring plan of the traineeship and with what the rights and commitments of the three parties are agreed) or
- training agreement for the Erasmus+ program and guidelines for filling in the training agreement.
For submitting the documents do like this:
- agree the content and program of the traineeship both with your supervisor in UT and in the receiving organisation;
- add agreed traineeship program to your traineeship plan and training agreement and get it signed by your supervisor in UT;
- send the trilateral training agreement to the receiving organisation for signing;
- fill in the study plan and submit it together with traineeship plan and training agreement to the Institute/College/School. The Head of the academic unit will sign also the training agreement and student will be registered as student doing traineeship abroad;
- study plan with traineeship plan and training agreement will be stored in Institute or Dean´s office during the internship.
Please note that trilateral training agreement doesn´t have to be an original, it means that it can be scanned or faxed copy of the signed agreement.
It is suggested for all traineeship going students to have the accident and liability insurance as not all organisations are providing the trainee the accident or liability insurance. There´s a webpage that have converged different estonian insurance companies, it can help you to find the right service and price for you www.kindlustusest.ee/student-insurance (with additional questions you can turn to Ain Niineste, +372 686 5010, +372 56 499 169, ain.niineste [ät] kindlustusest.ee). Here are some packages (at least liability and accident insurance) by EduCare World, Crystal Studies and EduCare24
After the traineeship:
- submit the transcript of records, traineeship certificate, evaluation sheets from the supervisor in host institution or traineeship report to your supervisor in UT for grading;
- supervisor notes the result to the traineeship plan and signs it;
- show in your study plan the ECTS that you want to be transferred to your curriculum;
- the ECTS will be transferred by the institute or college ( PhD students who are doing the traineeship abroad within the Doctoral thesis will not have ECTS transferred but mentioned at the attestation).
Please note that students doing their traineeship abroad with Erasmus+ grant need to submit the copy of the traineeship certificate also to the Traineeship Coordinator in International Student Service (ISS). More information from here.
If you are interested of the opportunities to make the internship abroad and you have further questions, feel free to contact Traineeship Coordinator in ISS.
Traineeship and Students Exchange Coordinator,
Study Abroad Centre
piret.saluveer [ät] ut.ee
+372 737 6019