Dean elections 2019
This October will see the elections of deans for the University of Tartu’s four faculties, who will take office on 1 January 2020. Dean candidates can be university professors, associate professors, lead research fellows and senior research fellows. Candidates must be submitted to the Election Committee by 1 October 2019 18:00.
Dean candidates can be nominated by:
- the rector,
- the councils of the institutes and colleges of faculties,
- at least ten academic employees from the faculty jointly
- the faculty’s student body.
Dean elections are prepared and organised by the Election Committee:
- Academic Secretary Andres Soosaar (Chairman),
- Legal Counsel Aliis Liin,
- Director of the College of Foreign Languages and Cultures Kersti Lepajõe from the Faculty of Arts and Humanities,
- Lecturer in Social Media Maria Murumaa-Mengel from the Faculty of Social Sciences,
- Associate Professor in Human Physiology Aavo Lang from the Faculty of Medicine
- Researcher in Molecular Biology Margus Leppik from the Faculty of Science and Technology as faculty representatives.
The dean candidate submission deadline is on 1 October at 18:00. The candidate’s name along with the candidate’s signed consent to run for the position of dean must be submitted electronically to the Election Committee at valimised [ät] ut.ee. The original documents must be submitted on paper to the academic secretary by the same deadline.
Candidates can withdraw their candidacy two working days before the start of voting at the latest. This means that the Election Committee must be notified of the withdrawal decision by 18 October.
For the first time, dean elections will feature e-voting. The first round of voting will take place on 22 October 2019 from 00:00 to 18:00. The second round of voting is scheduled for 23 and the third for 24 October, if necessary.
Deans are elected by electoral bodies of faculties. These consist of academic employees of faculties whose work load as a lecturer or a researcher is at least 20 hours per week and student representatives who belong to the councils of the faculty and its institutes and colleges. The rector will approve the list of the electoral body within two weeks before the elections.
Election information will be made available to voters within three weeks before the elections at www.valimised.ut.ee. During elections, the IT Department advises voters on IT issues.
The term of office of deans commencing work on 1 January 2020 is four years.