English Language Requirements for PhD Students
Applicants to all the PhD level programmes must provide a proof of English language proficiency at a satisfactory level (B2 level according to Common European Framework of Reference for Languages).
NB! An accepted English language test must be taken by the application deadline. Please note that the University of Tartu does not extend the deadline for submitting the required documents due to COVID-19 related problems. Applicants who are not able to submit the required documents by the application deadline are encouraged to apply in the coming application rounds.
Please note that these are the only tests and exemptions accepted by the University of Tartu. If you cannot prove your English language proficiency with one of the approved English tests described hereafter, and you do not belong to any of the listed exempt categories, your application will not qualify for admission.
The following tests with scores outlined are accepted (NB! Submit the score report by the application deadline):
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL iBT) - minimum required score is 75 for the internet based test. The TOEFL result must be sent directly to the University of Tartu by the Educational Testing Service. TOEFL institutional code for the University of Tartu is 0133. If a candidate has ordered his/her TOEFL test result to be sent directly to the University of Tartu, the score can be checked online before the paper reaches UT. TOEFL iBT test score is valid for 2 years;
NB! The University of Tartu also accepts the TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition test result, see further information here.
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS Academic) - minimum required overall score is 5.5 and no part can be below 5.5. Copy of the test result is accepted as it will be verified online by UT. IELTS General Training tests are not accepted;
- Cambridge English: B2 First (former Cambridge English: First (FCE)) - minimum required result is grade C or 160 (B2 level). Applicants who have taken this Cambridge test must order their result to be sent to University of Tartu electronically through Candidate Results Online website;
- Cambridge English: C1 Advanced (former Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE)) - minimum required score is 160; applicants who have taken this Cambridge test must order their result to be sent to University of Tartu electronically through Candidate Results Online website;
- Cambridge English: C2 Proficiency (former Cambridge English: Proficiency (CPE)) - applicants who have taken this Cambridge test must order their result to be sent to University of Tartu electronically through Candidate Results Online website;
- Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic) - minimum required score is 59 and the score must be sent to the university electronically via Pearson portal;
- Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (CELTA);
- English language test offered by the University of Tartu. The test has to be taken before applying. Minimum B2 level is required;
- Estonian state exam in English - minimum required result is B2 level (for exams taken in 1997-2013, 66 points or higher);
- Finnish ylioppilastutkinto In English, long course – graded at least magna cum laude approbatur (M) 5;
- Russian Federation state exam in English (edinõi gosudarstvennõi eksamen) - minimum required score is 75;
- Latvian state exam in English (centralizētais eksāmens) - minimum required score at least 70% (for exams taken before 2013 grades A or B);
- Completed International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Programme and a final exam in English (English A, English B, English Literature and Performance) - minimum required grade is 5.
English language requirement may be waived if an applicant:
- has completed secondary or university-level higher education in English in the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand or in any of the EU/EEA member states. In the case of studies in an offshore campus or via online studies, a recognised English proficiency certificate is still required;
- has completed secondary education in one of the EU/EEA member states and learned English as the first foreign language and taken the final exam with a result that indicates correspondence to level B2 according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages. The relevant certificate must be presented upon applying;
- has studied in English (with English as the medium of instruction), as a full-time student for at least one academic semester, in a higher education institution in the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand or in any of the EU/EEA member states. The transcript of records must include information that the applicant was enrolled in a programme taught in English;
- has worked in an English-speaking research group for one academic semester in a higher education institution in the USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand or in any of the EU/EEA member states. The head of the research group must issue an official letter confirming the working language of the group, the work period and the tasks of the applicant.
Please note that these are the only exemptions. If your situation is not described here, you must provide a sufficient proof of English language proficiency.