English Language Requirements for PhD Students
Applicants to all the PhD level programmes must provide a proof of English language proficiency at a satisfactory level (B2 level according to Common European Framework of Reference for Languages).
Please note that these are the only tests and exemptions accepted by the University of Tartu. If you cannot prove your English language proficiency with one of the approved English tests described hereafter, and you do not belong to any of the listed exempt categories, your application will not qualify for admission.
The following tests with scores outlined are accepted (NB! Submit the score report by the application deadline):
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL iBT) - minimum required score is 75 from internet based test and 537 from paper based test. The TOEFL result must be sent directly to the University of Tartu by the Educational Testing Service. TOEFL institutional code for the University of Tartu is 0133. If a candidate has ordered his/her TOEFL test result to be sent directly to the University of Tartu, the score can be checked online before the paper reaches UT;
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS academic) - minimum required score is 5.5 (no part can be below 5.5). Copy of the test result is accepted as it will be verified online by UT;
- Cambridge English: B2 First (former Cambridge English: First (FCE)) - minimum required result is grade C or 160 (B2 level). Applicants who have taken this Cambridge test must order their result to be sent to University of Tartu electronically through Candidate Results Online website;
- Cambridge English: C1 Advanced (former Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE)) - applicants who have taken this Cambridge test must order their result to be sent to University of Tartu electronically through Candidate Results Online website;
- Cambridge English: C2 Proficiency (former Cambridge English: Proficiency (CPE)) - applicants who have taken this Cambridge test must order their result to be sent to University of Tartu electronically through Candidate Results Online website;
- Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic) - minimum required score is 59 and the score must be sent to the university electronically via Pearson portal;
- Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (CELTA);
- Cambridge ESOL tests: ILEC ja ICFE;
- English language test taken at the College of Foreign Languages and Cultures of the University of Tartu. The test has to be taken before applying. Minimum B2 level is required;
- Estonian state exam in English - minimum required result is B2 level (for exams taken in 1997-2013 66 points or higher);
- Finnish ylioppilastutkinto In English, long course – graded at least magna cum laude approbatur (M) 5;
- Russian Federation state exam in English (edinõi gosudarstvennõi eksamen) - minimum required score is 75.
English language requirement may be waived if an applicant:
- has completed secondary or higher education in English in one of the following countries: in EU/EEA member states, USA, Canada, Australia or New Zealand. In case the applicant studied in an offshore campus, a recognised English proficiency certificate is still required;
- has completed secondary education in one of the EU/EEA member states and learned English as the first foreign language for seven years and taken the final exam with a result that indicates correspondence to B2 level according to Common European Framework of Reference for Languages;
- has studied in English (with English as medium of instruction), in full-time student status for at least one academic semester, in a higher education institution in one of the following countries: USA; Canada; Australia; New Zealand or any of the EU/EEA member states. The transcript of records must include information that the applicant was enrolled in the programme taught in English.
Please note that these are the only exemptions. If your situation is not described here, you must provide a sufficient proof of English language proficiency.