We are happy to invite everyone over to Tartu Observatory in Tõravere as we celebrate two events: the Researchers' Night Festival and the Day of Countryside Living!
We will open our Big Telescope Tower and Stellarium. You can see the largest telescope in the Nordic countries. The smallest members of the family can enjoy crafting. If the weather allows, there will also be activities outdoors.
At 1 PM, Tartu Observatory's space researchers' band will perform some fierce space songs at the tower.
Our Stellarium offers a chance to:
- use our Solar System model to find out how seasons and night and day change on Earth, and how solar and lunar eclipses occur;
- see a model of a canyon on Mars and get to know the globe of Mars;
- take a look at some of the computing devices that have been used by researchers in Tõravere;
- use the Orion model to find out how constellations appear in the Celestial Sphere;
- see the virtual planetarium programme Starry Night to find out, which stars and constellation are visible in Estonia at that moment, what the night sky looks like in different parts of the world, and investigate planets, nebulas, and galaxies up close.
The event is free!