The Dignified Schindler Elevator of the University of Tartu History Museum in Working Order Again
On the 2 August at 1 p.m., Volli Kalm, the Rector of the University of Tartu, opens the historic Schindler elevator to all museum visitors by being the first person using it. The elevator has been out of everyday use for almost 20 years. The elevator goes to the White Hall and to the floor of temporary exhibitions, Morgenstern’s Hall and the attic.
„We are very happy being able to provide our visitors the chance to ride the historic Schindler elevator which was installed in the building of the Dome Church in 1928,“ says Mariann Raisma, Head of the University of Tartu History Museum. The depreciated elevator needed to be technically updated in order to be taken into use again. „Upon renovation of the elevator, we have taken into account the special conditions set by the National Heritage Board. Upon taking the elevator into use again, we were required to maintain the original appearance of the elevator as it was in 1928.“
During the renovation of the 85-year old Schindler elevator, the oldest elevator in Tartu, a new Schindler engine was installed, the metal frame was restored, the unsuitable controller switches and plugs from the Soviet times were removed, a new controller similar to the original one was installed and the elevator car was renovated, etc. “The elevator car was well-preserved but needed a little touch-up, so the interior of the elevator was painted with linseed oil paint of colour similar to the original and the walls were grained which means that the renovator painted a wood texture to the boarding by hand,” lists Raisma the works done and adding that one of the characteristics of good quality renovation is that everything seems natural. “The entire renovation team has done a great job and restored the authentic look of the elevator,” praises Raisma the persons carrying out the works: AS ELIF, Taavi Tiidor, the renovator of the elevator car, and Erle Kaur, the artist that grained the walls of the elevator.
The operating instructions of the elevator still need to be approved. “Although considering the elevator type, there should be an elevator operator who opens the doors and regulates the movement of the elevator, we believe that we have made the elevator so safe that visitors can use the elevator on their own,” states Raisma, pointing out that the operating instructions should definitely be read beforehand.
The elevator with 500 kg carrying capacity was originally used mainly for the transportation of library books and items between floors. The elevator was closed to museum visitors at the beginning of the 1990s. The elevator was last used in 2004 when museum objects, furniture and inventory were transported between floors. The elevator holds 6 people who may move together from floor to floor in the University of Tartu History Museum. The total cost of the renovation was approximately 30,000 euro.
For additional information, please contact: Mariann Raisma, the Head of the University of Tartu History Museum, phone: 737 5675, 522 1702, email: mariann.raisma [ät] ut.ee.