Reet Alas, Kristel Ruutmets, Joel Starkopf and Edith Viirlaid named lecturers of the year
Based on students’ feedback, UT’s 2018 lecturers of the year are Reet Alas, a French teacher at the College of Foreign Languages and Cultures of the Faculty of Humanities and Arts, Kristel Ruutmets, an entry level English teacher at the Faculty of Social Sciences, Joel Starkopf, a Professor of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care at the Faculty of Medicine and Edith Viirlaid, an Assistant in Colloidal and Environmental Chemistry at the Faculty of Science and Technology.
The President of the UT Student Body Allan Aksiim thinks that the University of Tartu as a promoter of science and education is a pillar of Estonian society. “Inevitably, people studying at the University of Tartu will, in the best way, gain the knowledge they need to govern the state, become a leading force in society and change the world,” he explains. “That’s why we need to recognise skilled lecturers – to make sure our young people and future leaders inherit their valuable intellectual resources.”
The lecturers of the year received silver pins designed by jewellery designer Katrin Veegen especially for this occasion. In addition, the lecturers received a bonus the size of a professor’s minimum monthly wage at UT.
|Reet Alas||Kristel Ruutmets||Joel Strarkopf||Edith Viirlaid|
The best programme directors from each faculty were also recognised.
Programme directors of the year in the Faculty of Social Sciences:
- Helen Poltimäe, programme director of the BA curriculum in Business Administration at the School of Economics.
- Gerda Mihhailova, programme director of the MA curriculum in Service Design and Management at Pärnu College.
Programme director of the year in the Faculty of Humanities and Arts:
- Marge Konsa, programme director of the BA, MA and PhD curricula in History.
Programme director of the year in the Faculty of Science and Technology:
- Heiki Kasemägi, programme director of the BA curriculum in Computer Engineering and the MA curriculum in Robotics.
Programme director of the year in the Faculty of Medicine:
- Daisy Volmer, programme director of the integrated BA and MA curriculum in Pharmacy.
All prizes were awarded at the anniversary ball on 1 December in Vanemuine Concert Hall.
More information: Allan Aksiim, President of the UT Student Body, 5843 7043, allan.aksiim [ät] ut.ee