Study in Australia with AEN
Student exchange with universities belonging to the AEN network are carried out under the Utrecht Network, which cooperates with Australian (AEN) and US universities (MAUI). Further information on student exchange with MAUI members is available here.
The AEN (Australian-European Network) unites six universities in Australia: Edith Cowan University in Perth, Deakin University in Victoria, Griffith University in Queensland, Western Sydney University in Sydney, University of Tasmania and University of Wollongong.
Students of all specialities and levels of study can apply. However, in selecting a university, it is important to make sure which programmes are offered - some universities do not admit exchange students to all specialities (law and medical studies are most commonly excluded). Further information is available on the AEN website.
It is possible to apply for one or two semesters: from July to December and/or from February to July. When applying, students must submit a list of three preferred universities; and later successful applicants will be placed in one of the preferred universities by the respective committee of the Utrecht Network.
NB! When applying to AEN-network, it is not possible to apply to MAUI-network in the same year.
Exchange students are guaranteed free tuition at a foreign university. All other expenses must be covered by the student.
Required application documents (in English):
- Application for study abroad (incl. list of three preferred universities);
- Statement of purpose (letter of motivation);
- Letter of recommendation from a supervisor or professor at UT;
- Transcript of records (with average grade, in English; ask from your dean's office/institute); Master's and PhD students must also submit a Diploma Supplement (in English) on the previous study level (ask for that at the Student Admissions);
- Certificate on command of English (IELTS, TOEFL or the test of UT College of Foreign Languages and Cultures; check the language requirements from university descriptions on AEN webpage).
Please submit your application documents (hard copies, original/officially certified) to the UT Study Abroad Centre.
NB! It is possible to apply even if you have not yet received the results of your TOEFL/IELTS test by the deadline (although the test must be taken). On that occasion, you will have to submit some other proof of language proficiency, e.g. confirmation from language professor, UT language test.
Please note, late documents may affect your candidacy!
The primary decision on selecting students is made by the University of Tartu grant committee. The student exchange coordinator forwards information of the selected students to the AEN committee, who then place the students in host universities. Next, the documents are sent to the respective host universities, who make a final decision on the admission of the student.
As the process as a whole is quite time consuming, students applying should bear in mind that final decisions may be made as late as April or May.