English Language Requirements
Applicants to all the bachelor´s and master´s level programmes must provide proof of English language proficiency at a satisfactory level.
Please note that these are the only tests and exemptions accepted by the University of Tartu. If you cannot prove your English language proficiency with one of the approved English tests described hereafter, and you do not belong to any of the listed exempt categories, your application will not qualify for admission.
The following tests with scores outlined are accepted:
1. TOEFL (iBT) - minimum required overall score is 75 for the internet based test and those who have taken the revised TOEFL Paper-delivered Test must have received at least 18 points in all subcategories. The TOEFL test report must be sent to the University of Tartu directly from the Educational Testing Service. TOEFL institutional code for the University of Tartu is 0133. If a candidate has ordered his/her TOEFL test report to be forwarded to the University of Tartu, the score can be verified online before the paper reaches UT;
2. IELTS (academic) - minimum required score is 5.5 and no part can be below 5.5. Copy of the test result is accepted as it will be verified online by the university;
3. Cambridge English: First (FCE) - minimum required result is 160. Applicants who have taken this Cambridge test must order their result to be sent to University of Tartu electronically through Candidate Results Online website;
4. Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) - applicants who have taken this Cambridge test must order their result to be sent to University of Tartu electronically through Candidate Results Online website;
5. Cambridge English: Proficiency (CPE) - applicants who have taken this Cambridge test must order their result to be sent to University of Tartu electronically through Candidate Results Online website;
6. Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic) - minimum required score is 59 and the score must be sent to the university electronically via Pearson portal;
7. Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (CELTA);
9. Finnish ylioppilastutkinto In English, long course – graded at least magna cum laude approbatur (M) 5.
10. English language test offered by the University of Tartu. The test results must reach us by the application deadline. Minimum B2 level is required;
11. Estonian state exam in English - minimum required result is B2 level (for exams taken in 1997-2013 66 points or higher);
12. Russian Federation’s state exam in English (edinõi gosudarstvennõi eksamen) – minimum required score is 75 points. A certified statement concerning the national state examination results (EG) must be submitted. The certificate should be issued by the relevant school authority.
The following are the relevant dates and deadlines for submitting English language test results to the University:
|Type of programme||Deadline for providing electronic proof of registering to language test||Deadline for final results to reach the university|
|Bachelor's level programmes||Not applicable||April 15, 2019|
|Master's level programmes||March 15, 2019||April 15, 2019|
|Programmes taught in Estonian (intensive Estonian course on the basis of English)||Not applicable||June 1, 2019|
Applicants to master’s level programmes who do not have their English test score by March 15, must upload proof of having registered for a language test together with the rest of the required documents by the general application deadline. All documents must be included in the online application in DreamApply. Only then will the final test report be accepted until April 15. Incomplete applications or later submissions will not be considered.
English language requirement may be waived if an applicant:
- has studied at an Estonian higher education institution and received at least 15 ECTS (European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System credit points) for English-taught courses, excluding language courses, unless a certificate proving English language proficiency at B2 level (minimum) was issued upon completion of the language course(s);
- has completed secondary education in English in one of the following countries: in EU/EEA member states; USA; Canada; Australia or New Zealand. In case the applicant studied in an offshore campus, a recognised English proficiency certificate is still required;
- has studied in one of the EU/EEA member states and learned English as the first foreign language for seven years and taken the final exam with a result that indicates correspondence to B2 level according to Common European Framework of Reference for Languages;
- has studied in English (with English as medium of instruction) in full-time student status for at least one academic year in a higher education institution in one of the following countries: USA; Canada; Australia; New Zealand or any of the EU/EEA member states. The transcript of records must include information that the applicant was enrolled in the programme taught in English. In case the applicant studied in an offshore campus, a recognised English proficiency certificate is still required.
- has completed the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Programme in English language with Diploma.
Please note that these are the only exemptions. If your situation is not described here, you must take a recognised English language exam.